Pages

Tuesday, June 20, 2023

The Love Hypothesis


The hype around this book was big, but unfortunately I didn't enjoy it as much as some people. I found the writing pretty corny at times. I found the characters very flat and having not much personality. Even Adam, who is supposed to be "an ass," we only know this by the narrator's description of him. We don't really get a sense of him being cruel, so it didn't feel very believable.

The book starts with a scene that becomes relevant later in the plot, and then skips ahead in time, but it felt like too big of a skip. I felt like I was missing context for how we are supposed to feel about the characters. I thought the narrator, Olive, would go back and fill us in, but she didn't.

I also didn't understand why Olive was so into Adam. Apart from his being hot and muscular, which she mentions many, many times, there was nothing particularly appealing about him and Olive is obviously determined to hate him. They have maybe two semi-personal conversations before she decides she is in love with him. It felt very rushed and not believable.

Overall this book was cute, but I don't understand the hype. 

No comments:

Post a Comment